Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Revising the Review Essay

Name Background:
“Corn Snakes belong to the species, Elaphe Guttata.” (Kaplan)  The latin translations of species names describe the animal. Elaphe means deerskin and guttata means speckled of spotted. The corn snakes skin is spotted pattern and feels like “tanned deer skin.” (Kaplan) All snakes that I have held seem to have this “tanned deer skin” texture and it was this that got me hooked on them and wildlife in general. I love looking at and feeling the snakes.   

I am going to use this in my final draft as my opening paragraph. I had written about the texture of the snake before so I think this will be good to tie into the topic of snakes and me owning one, thus reviewing having one as a pet.

Holding a snake:
In holding my snake I realize how jerky and fragile it is. Although he is tamed these sudden movements from him could scare someone not experienced with handling a snake. My teacher Mr. Volm told me, “All it takes is one drop and the snake could be injured or worse, it could get away and hide in an unreachable spot.” Unlike my brothers ball python, which wraps around my arms and is slow moving, my corn snake “tends to pick a direction and go for it.” (Kaplan) Little kids or people afraid of snakes should not handle for these reasons.

I can use this as one of the downfalls of owning a snake as a pet. Although I have no trouble handling my snake, many people would.

No comments:

Post a Comment