Thursday, January 13, 2011

Writing Background

1.       What is your earliest memory of writing?  Tell the story.
My earliest memory of writing was in the 3rd grade. I remember just wanting to write because it was fun. I had recently visited my Uncle Joe’s ranch outside of Victoria Texas. My little story told of all the things we did that day. This wasn’t an assignment or anything so I gave it to my teacher to show off what I had written. The end product was probably about a paragraph of writing with horrific spelling mistakes. I was so proud of this writing though because at conferences my story was displayed right by the sign in sheet for everyone to read. It was awesome having everyone so proud of something I had written.
2.       We usually divide our experiences as writers into private writing and school writing, or writing we do by choice and writing we are required to do for a grade.  Let’s focus on the school writing.  Tell the story of a teacher, a class, an essay, an exam, or other moment you consider a turning point in your understanding of yourself as a writer or your understanding or writing.
This is a hard subject to find something to write about. I don’t have a specific teacher or essay or anything that I consider a turning point for the good. However, I do recall a turning point for the worse. At the end of 3rd grade I was placed into an Alpha Phonics class for dyslexic kids. I was a very mild case but, my spelling was horrible. I sounded out words exactly the way they were spelled and spelled exactly the way words sounded. My teacher made me right “bed” at the top of all my papers so I would write my bs and ds the correct way. I still suffer slightly from dyslexia but not as bad. Since I was put in the “special class” I ended up hating English, writing and spelling.
3.       Writing is part of the everyday fabric of life in the US, and this truer than ever with Internet communication.  Describe a typical day for you in which writing plays a part, and think about how this has changed in your lifetime so far.
Texting on cell phones is the most writing I do all day (excluding writing for this class). I have to be able to display emotion with words instead of tones and facial expressions. The people who text hundreds of times a day probably don’t realize how much they are capable of writing. Facebook also has a lot of writing involved. This is a new way to communicate. People used to use letters, then email, and now they use Facebook. This has changed my life because the way people communicate with others is always changing too. Communication skills in whatever form are important.
4.       What is the most successful(or least successful) thing you’ve written in or out of school.  Tell the story.
The least successful thing I have written in school is my research paper in 10th grade. I had little facts and just through together what I had at the last minute. The requirements were 5 pages and my rough draft barely even 3 pages. In order to meet the requirements I repeated myself a few times. Also, I edited the margins to my advantage. Little did I realize that my teacher was not dumb. He made me correct the margins and redo the assignment. I really didn’t care that much about essay at the time but still, how embarrassing is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment